Biology is a fascinating, popular and useful subject.
At Thornhill College we aim to give our pupils a detailed insight into all aspects of the living world. We encourage our pupils to develop a real interest in the subject and to acquire high levels of practical skill.
In so doing we also aim to prepare pupils for assessment at as high a level as possible, and to also prepare them for future roles as decision makers in the scientific world.
- To give a detailed insight into the intriguing nature of natural science;
- To make the pupils aware of the processes of scientific investigation and biological enquiry;
- To develop the skills necessary to work safely with apparatus, biological material and living organisms;
- To develop an appreciation of the huge biodiversity of our planet, and of the crucial role humans have in protecting it;
- To understand how the human body works;
- To develop our pupils' powers of critical analysis so that they can make value judgements about contemporary scientific issues;
- To develop an awareness of the applications of biological knowledge and expertise in wider society;
- To provide a thorough grounding for those who wish to continue studying Biological Sciences at a higher level;
- To prepare each pupil comprehensively, and to as high a level as possible, for public examinations.
Our Teaching Strategies
A wide variety of teaching strategies are used within the Biology Department, reflecting the diverse nature of the subject. These include:
- Teacher-directed/ questioning
- Peer mentoring
- Content based learning
- Investigation and individual inquiry
- Group Work
- Field study
- ICT modelling/investigation