The Board of Governors invites applications for the post of Principal commencing on 1st November 2017 from suitably qualified teachers.
Vacancy - Principal of Thornhill College, Derry
- Personnel specification
- Job description
- Application form
- Terms and conditions of employment for principals
- Vision for Thornhill College
Thornhill College is a Catholic all-girls’ grammar school, founded by the Sisters of Mercy. It opened on its original site in 1932 and moved to a spacious new location in 2003.
The Board of Governors invites applications for the post of Principal commencing on 1st November 2017 from suitably qualified teachers who can demonstrate, both from experience as shown on their application form and at interview, a clear vision for the College in keeping with its ethos, and who meet the following criteria:
The Principal will be able to communicate high expectations and demonstrate personal commitment to the full development of every pupil. S/he will be an enthusiastic and dynamic leader with clear vision and goals for the College.
Applicants must by 1 September 2017:
- be a qualified teacher, registered with the GTCNI;
- have been employed in the post-primary sector or related area for at least 12 of the last 15 years i.e. since 1 September 2002;
- have experience in a Senior Leadership capacity in the post-primary sector, or related area, with at least 4 responsibility points for at least 5 years;
- have experience of developing, implementing and monitoring curriculum planning or pastoral care policy;
- have experience in the management of people and resources;
- have evidence of on-going professional development.
In addition to the above, preference may be given to applicants who:
- have successfully completed the Professional Qualification for Headship;
- have successfully completed an additional and relevant post graduate award-bearing course;
- are serving Principals or Vice-Principals in a school with a Sixth Form and an enrolment of at least 500 pupils.
It should be noted that criteria for the above post may be enhanced to facilitate shortlisting.
All information regarding the above post may be obtained from this website or by contacting the Principal’s Secretary on:
CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS BY HAND OR BY POST ONLY 12 NOON ON FRIDAY 9TH JUNE 2017
Completed application forms should be returned by hand or by post, bearing the marker “Application for Principal” and addressed to “The Chairman of the Board of Governors”.
(Interviews will be held on Tuesday 20th June 2017)
- Thornhill College is committed to following Child Protection guidelines and procedures as prescribed by DENI and EA.
- Thornhill College is an Equal Opportunities Employer.